JDK11: Missing JAXB dependency

Hello all,

according to the release notes, Hibernate version 5.3.3 final introduces support for JDK11.

Starting from JDK11 some modules have been removed from the standard jdk distribution.

The JAXB library has been removed as part of that change, and as far as I know Hibernate depends on this library because it is making use of it internally. So, in order to properly support this change, that library should be now explicitly included.

Therefore, why the JAXB library is not included as a dependency for the hibernate-core project?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Carlos.

This was fixed by HHH-12946 and will be available from 5.4.

For 5.3, you need to add the JAXB dependency to your build.

Hello,

thanks for the information. A few questions regarding this topic:

• Why is this changeset not being backported to 5.3? Why delegating to the users to add this dependency?
  • What is the reason to set the dependency with a version of JAXB which is from 2014? Why not using a more recent version?
  • Do you know by when Hibernate version 5.4 will be available?

Thanks again!

I think @gsmet can better answer your question regarding backporting this to 5.3 as well as the schedule for 5.4.

Related to:

• What is the reason to set the dependency with a version of JAXB which is from 2014? Why not using a more recent version?

What we will Hibernate benefit from using the latest version of JAXB? Do you have any specific reason for wanting that dependency?

5.3 is more or less frozen and only critical fixes are backported.

5.4 should be an easy upgrade: we only pushed bug fixes there (and some entity graph improvements).

As for the version of JAXB, unfortunately, we had issues with the latest ones. See https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-orm/pull/2585 for more details (more precisely the end of the description of the PR).

Hello,

thanks for the information.

@vlad not found any particular reason to use the latest version of JAXB, just it looked strange to me that version 5.3 depended on such an old version.

@gsmet understood, thanks!

Sorry for insisting, do you know by when 5.4 version will be available? Is there any estimation date?

Thanks!

I plan to release a CR1 on Wednesday.

1 Like