Unable to find column position by name: id

I’m building a demo API with spring boot and I’m getting this error when I make the request with path…
“/user/names”

Hibernate: 
    {call db_user..sp_test_nombres()}
2023-09-14T09:43:31.819-04:00  WARN 14928 --- [nio-8080-exec-1] o.h.engine.jdbc.spi.SqlExceptionHelper   : SQL Error: 0, SQLState: S1093
2023-09-14T09:43:31.819-04:00 ERROR 14928 --- [nio-8080-exec-1] o.h.engine.jdbc.spi.SqlExceptionHelper   : El nombre de columna id no es válido.
2023-09-14T09:43:31.836-04:00 ERROR 14928 --- [nio-8080-exec-1] o.a.c.c.C.[.[.[/].[dispatcherServlet]    : Servlet.service() for servlet [dispatcherServlet] in context with path [] threw exception [Request processing failed: org.springframework.orm.jpa.JpaSystemException: Unable to find column position by name: id [El nombre de columna id no es válido.] [n/a]] with root cause

com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: El nombre de columna id no es válido.
	at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException.makeFromDriverError(SQLServerException.java:237) ~[mssql-jdbc-11.2.3.jre17.jar:na]
	at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerResultSet.findColumn(SQLServerResultSet.java:729) ~[mssql-jdbc-11.2.3.jre17.jar:na]
	at com.zaxxer.hikari.pool.HikariProxyResultSet.findColumn(HikariProxyResultSet.java) ~[HikariCP-4.0.3.jar:na]
	at org.hibernate.sql.results.jdbc.internal.AbstractResultSetAccess.resolveColumnPosition(AbstractResultSetAccess.java:65) ~[hibernate-core-6.2.7.Final.jar:6.2.7.Final]
	at org.hibernate.query.results.ResultsHelper.lambda$resolveSqlExpression$0(ResultsHelper.java:64) ~[hibernate-core-6.2.7.Final.jar:6.2.7.Final]
	at org.hibernate.query.results.DomainResultCreationStateImpl.resolveSqlExpression(DomainResultCreationStateImpl.java:280) ~[hibernate-core-6.2.7.Final.jar:6.2.7.Final]
	at org.hibernate.query.results.ResultsHelper.resolveSqlExpression(ResultsHelper.java:58) ~[hibernate-core-6.2.7.Final.jar:6.2.7.Final]
	at org.hibernate.query.results.implicit.ImplicitFetchBuilderBasic.buildFetch(ImplicitFetchBuilderBasic.java:97) ~[hibernate-core-6.2.7.Final.jar:6.2.7.Final]
	at org.hibernate.query.results.implicit.ImplicitFetchBuilderBasic.buildFetch(ImplicitFetchBuilderBasic.java:37) ~[hibernate-core-6.2.7.Final.jar:6.2.7.Final]
	at org.hibernate.query.results.DomainResultCreationStateImpl.visitIdentifierFetch(DomainResultCreationStateImpl.java:432) ~[hibernate-core-6.2.7.Final.jar:6.2.7.Final]
	at org.hibernate.sql.results.graph.entity.AbstractEntityResultGraphNode.afterInitialize(AbstractEntityResultGraphNode.java:48) ~[hibernate-core-6.2.7.Final.jar:6.2.7.Final]
	(...continue)

That path should execute a simple stored procedure that queries for usernames. The stored procedure is the following:

ALTER PROCEDURE sp_test_nombres
AS
BEGIN
    SELECT 
        first_name 
    FROM 
        personas_2
END

This is the model:

package com.apirestdemo.test.models;

import jakarta.persistence.*;

@Entity
@Table(name="personas_2")
public class UserModel {

@Id
    @GeneratedValue(strategy = GenerationType.IDENTITY)
    @Column
    private Long id;

@Column
    private String firstName;

@Column
    private String lastName;

@Column
    private String email;

public Long getId(){
        return id;
    }

public void setId(Long id){
        this.id = id;
    }

public String getFirstName() {return firstName;}

public void setFirstName(String firstName) {this.firstName = firstName;}

public String getLastName() {return lastName;}

public void setLastName(String lastName) {this.lastName = lastName;}

public String getEmail() {return email;}

public void setEmail(String email) {this.email = email;}
}

And this is the Repository:

package com.apirestdemo.test.repositories;

import com.apirestdemo.test.models.UserModel;
import org.springframework.data.jpa.repository.JpaRepository;
import org.springframework.data.jpa.repository.Query;
import org.springframework.stereotype.Repository;

import java.util.ArrayList;

@Repository
public interface IUSerRepository extends JpaRepository<UserModel, Long> {
    @Query(value="{call db_user..sp_test_nombres()}", nativeQuery = true)
    ArrayList<UserModel> nombres();
}

In properties I have set the following:

spring.datasource.driver-class-name=com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver
spring.jpa.hibernate.ddl-auto=update
spring.jpa.show-sql=true
spring.jpa.properties.hibernate.format_sql=true
spring.jpa.hibernate.dialect=org.hibernate.dialect.SQLServer2012Dialect

What could be wrong?

From the error message, looks like the first_name column name might not be valid for the personas_2 table. By default, I would think that the column name is the same as the property name in the entity so firstName, have you checked if the table has this column?

yes, the table has that column.

6dW3zQZUY6

It seems to me that the problem is with the id column, but I don’t know why it uses that column.

I’m no Spring user, but I think that Spring by default configures a naming strategy that derives from Java style property names like firstName the name first_name (i.e. CamelCaseToUnderscore). You’ll have to figure out what happens there and what you want to happen. Here you can read about naming strategies: Hibernate ORM 6.2.8.Final User Guide

I already understood where the problem comes from. In the names() method I am telling it to return an arraylist of usermodel, but that usermodel only has the firstname parameter; id, lastname and email are empty, that’s why it generates a conflict.