LocalDate treated as timestamp in H2 on JBoss 7.2.4

I had asked this question already on StackOverflow but did not received a satisfactory answer.

I have a column of date type in H2 database and the respective field in Java entity is

@NotNull
    @Convert(converter = LocalDateConverter.class)
    private LocalDate someDate;

When I deploy the application on JBoss 7.2.4 (EAP) the schema validation fails with error:

{"WFLYCTL0080: Failed services" => {"jboss.persistenceunit.\"project-name.ear#MyPersistenceUnit\"" => "javax.persistence.PersistenceException: [PersistenceUnit: MyPersistenceUnit] Unable to build Hibernate SessionFactory
    Caused by: javax.persistence.PersistenceException: [PersistenceUnit: MyPersistenceUnit] Unable to build Hibernate SessionFactory
    Caused by: org.hibernate.tool.schema.spi.SchemaManagementException: Schema-validation: wrong column type encountered in column [someDate] in table [SOME_TABLE]; found [date (Types#DATE)], but expecting [timestamp (Types#TIMESTAMP)]"}}

The situation in which this works well are:

1. when I remove the @Convert annotation.
  2. Change the column type to timestamp in sql schema. But the desired column type is date not timestamp.

I could not understand why the LocalDate is expecting to be of type timestamp instead of date?

For information the hibernate version in JBoss 7.2.4 (EAP) is 5.3.7.

Today I tested this on PostgreSQL and got the same issue. But this works well only on Oracle so far.

I’d accepted this answer on StackOverflow. But I still unable to get why the @Convert annotation had the issue with data type.