How to omit joining of superclass in JPA when Im querying subclass only?

Hi,

I have a JPA model with class hierarchy:

@Entity
@Inheritance(strategy = InheritanceType.JOINED)
public abstract class A {
    @Id
    @GeneratedValue
    private Long id;

private String parentVal;

// getters setters here
}

@Entity
public class SubA extends A {
    private String val;

// getters setters here
}

It is a simplification of my real model. I have a JPQL query

select val from SubA

which generates this sql

select suba0_.val as col_0_0_ from SubA suba0_ inner join A suba0_1_ on suba0_.id=suba0_1_.id

There is a inner join to the superclass table, which is useless. I need nothing from there. But it looks like it is impossible to get rid of it. I asked that on stackoverflow already and also debug Hibernate code.

I start thinking about creating of hibernate patch which allows that. First option would be to detect if I need to join parent table, another option would be explicitly say “do not join it”. What do you think, how is it difficult? Could you direct me? Thank you.

If you can send a Pull Request, that would be great.

Could somebody who knows hibernate core internals better help me with the Pull Request? I mean kind of high level help, just direct me what will be the best way to do it.

Just debug Hibernate Core to get familiar with the code base. It’s just code after all.

Ok, I plan in my patch extend HQL syntax by “WITHOUT ANCESTOR”. Examples:

SELECT val FROM SubA WITHOUT ANCESTOR;
SELECT val FROM b JOIN WITHOUT ANCESTOR b.prop;
SELECT val FROM b JOIN WITHOUT ANCESTOR SubA ON (b.id = SubA.id);

Could be this solution merged into Hibernate?

The HQL parser is completely rewritten in 6.0 so its not worth adding it for 5.x. For the moment, you could simply use a native SQL as a workaround.

Now, back to your proposal, I suppose we should not provide the WITHOUT ANCESTOR keyword as Hibernate could detect that the property belong to the subclass only, so this should be automatically resolved.