Help with StaleObjectStateException Error

Hi everyone,

I’m hoping someone can help me out with an issue I’m facing. I’m using Hibernate in my project, and I’ve run into this error: StaleObjectStateException.

Here’s what’s happening: I have an entity that is being updated by multiple transactions, and every now and then, I get this StaleObjectStateException. I understand that this error is related to versioning and optimistic locking, but I’m not sure how to handle it properly.

Here are a few details about my setup:

• I’m using Hibernate 5.4.
  • The entity in question is versioned using the @Version annotation.
  • I have multiple transactions that might update the same entity concurrently.

Here’s a snippet of the entity:

@Entity
public class MyEntity {
    @Id
    @GeneratedValue(strategy = GenerationType.IDENTITY)
    private Long id;

@Version
    private int version;

private String data;

// getters and setters
}

And here’s a basic outline of the code where the error occurs:

public void updateEntity(Long id, String newData) {
    Session session = sessionFactory.openSession();
    Transaction transaction = session.beginTransaction();

try {
        MyEntity entity = session.get(MyEntity.class, id);
        entity.setData(newData);
        session.update(entity);
        transaction.commit();
    } catch (StaleObjectStateException e) {
        transaction.rollback();
        // Handle exception (retry, log, etc.)
    } finally {
        session.close();
    }
}

When I was searching about this I came across these resources StaleObjectStateException 1 transaction 1 create and 1 update on the same entity what is minitab and based on them I tried by using latest version,

I’m not sure how to best handle this exception. Should I retry the transaction? If so, what’s the best way to implement a retry mechanism? Or is there a better way to avoid this error altogether?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for your help.

Best Regards

This is an optimistic lock exception, which as you figured means that two transactions tried to update the same entity at the same time.
The question you have to ask yourself is, when two transactions T1 and T2 read the entity version 1 and both try to update it to version 2 while both try to set different state which might be inconsistent if both changes apply, what should happen?
Usually, such exceptions are ignored once and retried if applicable to your use case or shown to the user, so that the end user to decide.