Documentation on change in behaviour with LocalTime

There’s a change in behaviour between 6.1 & 6.2, hinted at in the migration notes, but it’s not obvious that code could end up exhibiting untoward results with no warning.

My code does something like:

String timeString = "12:59:27.457";
String sql = "insert into mytable (TimePass) values (:TimePass)";
LocalTime lt = LocalTime.parse(anotherString);
Query qry = localSession.createNativeQuery(sql);
qry.setParameter("TimePass",timeString);

I’m on SQL Server, with the TimePass field of type time(7) (which should include milliseconds).
I know createNativeQuery is deprecated - there are other reasons for using it, and so far I’ve not found what the replacement should be.

When I .executeUpdate(), the value actually inserted is something entirely different. For the example above, I get the time “19:56:07.000” inserted instead - about 25000 seconds later.

For a timeString of “12:59:02.427”, I get “11:35:42.000” - about 5000 seconds earlier. So something odd is going on.

To get the correct behaviour, I need to do:

qry.setParameter("TimePass",java.sql.Time.valueOf(timeString));

instead.

My hunch is that somewhere something in interpreting the milliseconds part as some sort of offset - but this didn’t happen in Hibernate 6.1.7, only when I moved to 6.2.2!

I’m not sure if this is a bug or an undocumented feature, but either way I thought I ought to publicise it and the workaround in case anyone else is stumped!

Just on my hunch, for a large dataset I plotted the milliseconds part against the error in what ends up in the database. There’s a clear pattern, though I still haven’t spotted why:

You can debug into org.hibernate.type.descriptor.java.LocalTimeJavaType#unwrap where the LocalTime is converted to java.sql.Time. Maybe you can spot the bug directly.
Either way, please create an issue in the issue tracker(https://hibernate.atlassian.net) with a test case(hibernate-test-case-templates/JPAUnitTestCase.java at main · hibernate/hibernate-test-case-templates · GitHub) that reproduces the issue.

Sorry, just spotted a silly error in that code - it should of course be:

String timeString = "12:59:27.457";
String sql = "insert into mytable (TimePass) values (:TimePass)";
LocalTime lt = LocalTime.parse(timeString);
Query qry = localSession.createNativeQuery(sql);
qry.setParameter("TimePass",lt);

OK, I’ll work on a proper test case.

1 Like

Well, I’ve tried.

I’ve got some code that demonstrates the issue:

String timeString = "12:34:56.789";
    try
    {
      Configuration config = new Configuration();
      config.setProperty("hibernate.connection.driver_class","org.h2.Driver");
      config.setProperty("hibernate.connection.url","jdbc:h2:mem:test");
      config.setProperty("hibernate.dialect","org.hibernate.dialect.H2Dialect");
      config.setProperty("hibernate.show_sql","true");
      config.setProperty("hibernate.connection.username","sa");
      config.setProperty("hibernate.connection.password","");

SessionFactory sessionFactory = config.buildSessionFactory();

//create simple table with one field
      try (Session localSession = sessionFactory.openSession())
      {
        Query qryCreate = localSession.createNativeQuery("create table test (mytime time(7));");
        try
        {
          localSession.beginTransaction();
          qryCreate.executeUpdate();
          localSession.getTransaction().commit();
        }
        catch (Exception e)
        {
          e.printStackTrace();
        }
      }

//write one value to time field
      {
        Query qryInsert = localSession.createNativeQuery("insert into test (mytime) values (:mytime);");
        try
        {
          qryInsert.setParameter("mytime",lt);
          System.out.println("Inserting time string "+timeString+" (as LocalTime: "+lt+")");
          qryInsert.executeUpdate();
        }
        catch (Exception e)
        {
          e.printStackTrace();
        }
      }

//write value to time field, this time using java.sql.Time.valueOf
      {
        Query qryInsert = localSession.createNativeQuery("insert into test (mytime) values (:mytime);");
        try
        {
          qryInsert.setParameter("mytime",java.sql.Time.valueOf(lt));
          System.out.println("Inserting time string "+timeString+" (as LocalTime: "+lt+") using java.sql.Time.valueOf(lt): "+java.sql.Time.valueOf(lt));
          qryInsert.executeUpdate();
        }
        catch (Exception e)
        {
          e.printStackTrace();
        }
      }

//now retrieve value
      {
        Query qrySelect = localSession.createNativeQuery("select mytime from test;");
        try
        {
          List<java.sql.Time> resultList = qrySelect.getResultList();

for (java.sql.Time res: resultList)
          {
            System.out.println("Got value: "+res.toString());
          }
        }
        catch (Exception e)
        {
          e.printStackTrace();
        }
      }

}
    catch (Exception e)
    {
      e.printStackTrace();
    }

Output:

Inserting time string 12:34:56.789 (as LocalTime: 12:34:56.789)
Inserting time string 12:34:56.789 (as LocalTime: 12:34:56.789) using java.sql.Time.valueOf(lt): 12:34:56
Got value: 15:44:56
Got value: 12:34:56

Unfortunately, I can’t work out how to turn it into a JUnit test case. There are two templates - should I use the JPA one or the ORM one? And surely for a test unit I need to attach it to a class? presumably something in hibernate-orm? but I can’t compile hibernate-orm, as Netbeans complains about:

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

* What went wrong:
A problem occurred configuring project ':hibernate-jpamodelgen'.
> Could not resolve all files for configuration ':hibernate-jpamodelgen:xjc'.
   > Could not find org.glassfish.jaxb:jaxb-xjc:4.0.2.
     Required by:
         project :hibernate-jpamodelgen
   > Could not find jakarta.activation:jakarta.activation-api:2.1.1.
     Required by:
         project :hibernate-jpamodelgen > org.glassfish.jaxb:jaxb-runtime:4.0.2 > org.glassfish.jaxb:jaxb-core:4.0.2
         project :hibernate-jpamodelgen > org.glassfish.jaxb:jaxb-runtime:4.0.2 > org.glassfish.jaxb:jaxb-core:4.0.2 > org.eclipse.angus:angus-activation:2.0.0
   > Could not find jakarta.activation:jakarta.activation-api:2.1.1.
     Required by:
         project :hibernate-jpamodelgen > org.glassfish.jaxb:jaxb-runtime:4.0.2 > org.glassfish.jaxb:jaxb-core:4.0.2 > jakarta.xml.bind:jakarta.xml.bind-api:4.0.0

(I’m on NB16, using Gradle 7.3.3, and using JDK11 (I’ve also tried using 17 & 19)).

Did you not create the issue [HHH-16686] - Hibernate JIRA? There is even a fix for this ready: HHH-16686 - Fix for bug in LocalTimeJavaType.unwrap() by jrenaat · Pull Request #6664 · hibernate/hibernate-orm · GitHub

Thanks! No, that wasn’t me. Like I said, I’ve not been able to compile the Hibernate code to be able to investigate it myself. Would have been happy to help, but for some reason Gradle’s not playing ball with me.

You could try removing some folders from your local maven repository e.g. M2_HOME/jakarta/activation. Maybe downloading failed in the past and left back a broken metadata file.

OK, I’ve tried removing all of:

<localmavenrepo>\jakarta\activation\jakarta.activation-api
<localmavenrepo>\org\glassfish\jaxb\jaxb-xjc
<gradledir>\caches\modules-2\files-2.1\jakarta.activation\jakarta.activation-api
<gradledir>\caches\modules-2\files-2.1\org.glassfish.jaxb\jaxb-xjc

Gradle correctly notes the non-existence of the jarfiles in the localmavenrepo, correctly downloads them to the gradledir, but then can’t find them!

org.gradle.api.ProjectConfigurationException: A problem occurred configuring project ':hibernate-jpamodelgen'.
[...]
Caused by: org.gradle.api.internal.artifacts.ivyservice.DefaultLenientConfiguration$ArtifactResolveException: Could not resolve all files for configuration ':hibernate-jpamodelgen:xjc'.
[...]
Cause 1: org.gradle.internal.resolve.ModuleVersionNotFoundException: Could not find org.glassfish.jaxb:jaxb-xjc:4.0.2.
[...]
Cause 2: org.gradle.internal.resolve.ModuleVersionNotFoundException: Could not find jakarta.activation:jakarta.activation-api:2.1.1.
[...]
Cause 3: org.gradle.internal.resolve.ModuleVersionNotFoundException: Could not find jakarta.activation:jakarta.activation-api:2.1.1.

Sorry, this is now drifting away from the original quesiton now!

Sorry, but I have no idea what is going on here :sweat_smile:
I’ve run Gradle on several systems but never had issues like this before. Maybe the problem is you file system? Either way, please try asking these questions on Gradle forums. Maybe also try to freshly checkout Hibernate and remove your ~/.gradle folder.

Indeed - thinking it over last night I do believe it may well be a Gradle issue, not Hibernate. Anyway, I’ll investigate further and take it over there if so. Thanks for your assistance, and to everyone else involved, in fixing the original issue!

Just to confirm, version 6.2.4.Final fixes the underlying problem with the LocalTime type. Many thanks!

1 Like