Am I understanding Template.renderWhereStringTemplate correctly?

Given some formula template of the form: “(SELECT … FROM A, B …)”

Line numbers reference Template.java on GitHub

Assume everything up to the FROM is rendered normally and without error. The following steps then occur.

result:         "(SELECT ... "
token:          "FROM"
inFromClause:   false
beforeTable:    false
afterFromTable: false

BEFORE_TABLE_KEYWORDS contains "FROM", so conditional at line 311 changes state to

inFromClause:   false -> true
beforeTable:    false -> true

The token is then appended and the loop continues…

result:         "(SELECT ... FROM"
token:          " "
inFromClause:   true
beforeTable:    true

result:         "(SELECT ... FROM "
token:          "A"
beforeTable:    true

beforeTable is true, so the conditional branch at line 290 is executed, changing state to:

beforeTable:    true -> false
afterFromTable: false -> true

result:         "(SELECT ... FROM A"
token:          ","
afterFromTable: true

afterFromTable is true, so the conditional branch at 295 is executed <- This is what I believe to be a bug
The token is not "as", so the conditional branch at 296 is executed, changing state to:

afterFromTable: true -> false

result:         "(SELECT ... FROM A,"
token:          " "

result:         "(SELECT ... FROM A, "
token:          "B"

the token is a valid identifier, so the conditional branch at 304 is executed, appending the placeholder, a period, and the token

result:         "(SELECT ... FROM A, $placeholder$.B"

However, there appears to be a conditional at line 315 intended to handle the case of a comma in a from clause, which would set beforeTable to true, but because the conditional at line 295 matches that comma, beforeTable never gets set to true.

It appears to me that either the conditional at line 315 is dead code, or that there is a bug in how the if/else chain is implemented.

If you think you found a bug, you need to replicate it using a test case. Afterward, you should open a Jira issue for it.

Vlad, I don’t know that I found a bug. Before I go through the process of reporting it, I’d like to hear from somebody with knowledge on the subject.

I understand, but it’s much easier to debug a test case if you think you found an issue.

Anyway, I don’t know much about this class, so maybe someone else can better help you with it.